[Peace] Panel on Immigration in Rantoul this Thursday

Kit Condill kcondi at lincolntrail.info
Tue Mar 22 11:03:09 CST 2005

Hello all,

Just a heads up on a good event coming up this Thursday, March 24th,
from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at the Rantoul Public Library (106 West Flessner)
in Rantoul.  The program (perhaps-unfortunately titled "'I Am An
American':  Immigrants to the United States Speak About Their
Experiences") will feature immigrants from the Democratic Republic of
Congo, Vietnam, and Mexico (with an outside chance that we will be
joined by Dr. Mujahid Al-Fayadh, Imam of the Central Illinois Mosque
and Islamic Center in Urbana).

The panelists will speak about the conditions in their home country
that led them to immigrate, what they had to go through to get to the
United States, and what they experienced after they arrived.  The
program has been held twice previously, in Effingham and in Onarga, and
has been surprisingly powerful--full of laughter in Effingham, and full
of tears in Onarga.  The panelists' presentations will be followed by a
question-and-answer session.

This free event is being offered as part of a federal LSTA grant to
Lincoln Trail Libraries System, entitled "Diversity and Cultural
Competency in Rural Libraries," intended to improve and/or establish
library services to diverse populations, especially in the rural areas
of the nine counties that make up the system.

Please write me with any questions --  kcondi at lincolntrail.info -- hope
to see you there!

Thanks,

Kit Condill