[Peace] CNN Coverage on Being Black in America

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 04:24:03 CDT 2008

Sure, reading and writing have long been prized and sought after by those deprived of the opportunity to learn those skills. But we're talking apples and oranges here: Education is compulsory in the US, and has been part of (just about) every person's life from age 6 on. And it has not been seen as intrinsically valuable to everyone (for a variety of reasons). It's not news that the drop out rate in schools in low income areas is high, particularly among males of color. If there were decent jobs waiting, there would be an incentive to stay in school, and more would choose to do so.
 --Jenifer