[Peace] CNN Coverage on Being Black in America

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 04:45:18 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

Sure, reading and writing have long been prized and sought after by those
> deprived of the opportunity to learn those skills. But we're talking apples
> and oranges here: Education is compulsory in the US, and has been part of
> (just about) every person's life from age 6 on. And it has not been seen as
> intrinsically valuable to everyone (for a variety of reasons). It's not news
> that the drop out rate in schools in low income areas is high, particularly
> among males of color. If there were decent jobs waiting, there would be an
> incentive to stay in school, and more would choose to do so.
>  --Jenifer

I'm with Jenifer on this one.  A liberal arts education has much intrinsic
value, but that's hard to appreciate when your bills aren't getting paid.
I'd trade half of my education for a livable income, and never blink an
eye.  Oh, but this isn't about ME, is it?  :-)