[Peace] Candlelight vigil TODAY: Thursday (July 9th), 8:30pm, Alma Mater

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 9 09:43:21 CDT 2009

I believe that this vigil is ill conceived. Here is what I wrote for
the UFPJ list serve:

It is clear that many are willing on this list and elsewhere to lend
support to demonstrations against the Iranian regime without knowing
just what the demonstrators were originally demonstrating for, without
really knowing what has occurred in the election or on the streets and
what policies are represented by what factions. There is much self
righteous ranting, with many specious assertions, but little hard
evidence one way or the other. And that is why expressing "solidarity"
with the protestors at this point seems more than imprudent; it plays
into the hands of our government's wishes and actions against Iran.
Phil Wilayto has it right. Pugliese, Elbaum and others, perhaps
blinded by their distaste for the theocracy of the Iranian regime and
Ahmadinejad, are steering in a direction which will simply further
damage the anti-war movement.

--mkb

And here is what another, Keven Zeese,  has noted on that listserve:

We have all seen how infiltrators in U.S. demonstrations can escalate
beyond a peaceful demonstration and give the police an opportunity to
make arrests.  What if the U.S. and its allies inside and outside of
Iran have paid infiltrators who escalate the "reform" demonstrations
to violence (some of the violence by "reform" demonstrators was
described in Phil's article -- I urge people to read it as it is a
very thorough and convincing analysis,http://votersforpeace.us/press/index.php?itemid=2131)
  in order to push the government to react?  Then, our support of the
demonstrators is actually supporting efforts by outsiders, i.e. the
U.S. and others (primarily Israel and Saudi Arabia), to undermine the
Iranian government and set the stage for a military attack on that
country.  That all seems very plausible to me, knowing how the U.S.
and its allies act. And, knowing how long regime change has been U.S.
policy including paying terrorists to act inside Iran.  If the U.S.
government is supporting the "reform" demonstrators doesn't that give
peace activists pause?  How often do we find ourselves agreeing with
the U.S. government's foreign policy, especially in Iran?

Phil Wilato's analysis is worth reading.

--mkb