[Peace] other images needed for the 4th

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:16:17 CDT 2009

AWARE also needs images of people who shaped Lincoln's views.
Examples are:

 ** Placards remembering people who shaped Lincoln's views
      or from Lincoln's time who were doing things we'd like to honor.

      Frederick Douglass
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Douglass

          "I would unite with anybody to do right
           and with nobody to do wrong."

          Abolitionist and supporter of women's right to vote,
          famous publisher and orator,
          believed that the Constitution could
              and should be used to fight slavery
          Can we say something about Douglass' influence on Lincoln?

      Charles Sumner
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sumner
          A leader of the antislavery forces, US Senator,
          one of the Radical Republicans, a champion of black rights
          before and after the Civil War

      Elijah Lovejoy
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_P._Lovejoy
          Abolitionist journalist and publisher, from Alton, Illinois,
          from Alton, Illinois.  Pro-slavery mobs several times
          destroyed his newspaper, and in 1837 killed him.  He was 34.
          "First casualty of the Civil War" or
          "A martyr on the altar of American Liberty"
               (I'm not suggesting we use the latter, but
                http://www.altonweb.com/history/lovejoy/
               does :)

      Lysander Spooner
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysander_Spooner
          lawyer, "individualist anarchist",
          he was both an abolitionist and an opponent of the Civil War
          though he had supported guerrilla actions against slaveholders
           by slaves and sympathizers in the South.   Criticized the
          Republicans of the time, arguing that they were not
          aiming to end slavery but to preserve the Union by force and to
          support the business interests behind that union.

          A gem from the Wikipedia article:
          "He argued that the right of states to secede derives from
          the natural right of slaves to be free.  This argument was
          unpopular in both the North and the South after the war began,
          as it conflicted with the official position of both governments."