[Peace] CUCPJ Delivers Petition With More Than 400 signatures, But Rietz Refuses To Drop Charges On Jeshaun

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 17:05:45 CST 2010

On Tuesday morning, Jan. 19, Champaign-Urbana Citizens for Peace and Justice
delivered an online petition with 377 signatures to State’s Attorney Julia
Rietz asking her to drop the charges on Jeshaun Manning-Carter, the 15 year
old who was with Kiwane Carrington when he was killed by Champaign police. A
hard copy of the petition with another 60 signatures was also presented.
Jeshaun is being prosecuting on felony charges of resisting arrest.

A juvenile hearing was held at 2 p.m. with about 15-20 supporters showing up
at the Champaign County Courthouse, although they were not permitted in the
courtroom as is routine in juvenile cases. State’s Attorney Rietz appeared
in court and local African American attorney Alfred Ivy represented the
defendant. Attorney Ivy asked Judge Heidi Ladd for a continuance, saying
that he and the State’s Attorney were working toward a resolution. Rietz had
no objection, stating that according to Principal Richard Kelly of the READY
Program where Jeshaun goes to school, he was attending class and doing well.
Yet despite this good record, Rietz was still willing to drop the charges.

A continuance was granted and the next hearing will be held February 17 at
2:45 in Courtroom C.

You can sign the petition and read the many heartfelt comments left by
others here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dropthecharges/

After the hearing, I attempted to ask Rietz if she had a response to the
people who had signed the petition and she simply stated, “No.” When I asked
why she would not respond she said, “I don’t trust you Brian.”

While Rietz would not talk to me, she invited press members from WCIA and
WDWS into her office. A reporter with the television station WCIA told me
that Rietz had seen the petition and read it.

BD
--
Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.