[Peace] Oct 7 Anti war Speak Out

Jacob Crawford jkbcrawford at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 21:47:09 CDT 2011

Iraq Veterans Against the War will be hosting a speak-out on the quad on the
anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan:

When: Noon, Friday, October 7th
Where: The Quad (in front of the student union, facing the Quad).

What: Join us in speaking out against the occupations, against militarism,
and for peace and social justice.

This October 7th marks the ten-year anniversary of the continued occupation
of Afghanistan. This decade of war has devastated and traumatized the people
of Afghanistan, while also having dire consequences here at home, yet we are
seeing an escalation in the so-called global war on terror. The end of the
occupation of Afghanistan is nowhere in sight, and the occupation of Iraq
persists, despite promises of withdrawal. Drone attacks and raids are
carried out daily across the Afghan border into Pakistan, violating
their sovereignty. Our government continues to spend one trillion dollars a
year to fund worldwide military operations in the midst of a budget crisis,
maintaining 800 military bases around the globe. Service members continue to
suffer from war and conflict even after discharge, as they are faced with
untreated physical and mental injuries, unemployment, substance abuse, and
homelessness. Meanwhile, rates of trauma amongst occupied populations are
unknown, with some estimating that they are near universal.