[Peace] PDA Press Release on HJ Res 30

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Thu Feb 12 13:13:58 EST 2015

ANOTHER CO-OPTION OF THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT?

Ms. Schrishuhn:

The Obama administration continues to murder people throughout the Mideast in pursuit of their economic goals, the profits of the 1%.

What does PDA propose as an alternative?  A “comprehensive solution” as set out in H.J.RES. 30?

"... a robust regionally-led, political, economic and diplomatic strategy”?

What does that mean? Let local armies do the killing and dying on the ground while the US continues to kill from the air with planes and drones?

It's true fewer Americans die that way, and we kill Middle-easterners who we think might one day want to do us harm (along with their families and children), instead of holding them in our wretched prisons until they become an international embarrassment.

But H.J.RES. 30 is little more than an authorization for the mass murder the Obama administration is currently carrying out in the Mideast.

Why not instead bring US troops (and mercenaries) home, close American bases in the region, and follow international law by submitting problems like ISIL to the Security Council, as the UN Charter demands?

President Putin said in Cairo this week, "Regrettably, we must note that the actions being undertaken today by the members of the anti-terror coalition, their strategy and tactics are disproportionate to the scale and nature of the existing threat. Airstrikes alone are not enough to deal with it. What is more, such actions lack legitimacy since they were not directly sanctioned by the UN Security Council and in certain cases are taken without the consent of states whose territories are being targeted.”

The problem, of course, is that the policy of obeying international law would no longer allow the US military to control the flow of energy resources from the Mideast - which gives the US government an unparalleled advantage over its economic rivals in Europe and Asia.

Under these circumstances, the only comprehensive strategy worth supporting is a US withdrawal and a submission of the matter to the UNSC.

Regards, C. G. Estabrook