[Peace] JFP alert: Chris Murphy: Stop Attacking Obama, Kerry, & the UN

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Dec 29 20:33:42 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 3:27 PM
Subject: Chris Murphy: Stop Attacking Obama, Kerry, & the UN
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

[image: Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yificdEUwzvO93U9fNxcfBIXcUWe4jrG>

Dear Robert,

*Urge Chris Murphy to stop attacking Obama, Kerry, & the UN for the UNSC
vote against Israeli settlements.*
Take Action
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Xs7midC21HDc6jR%2FYFYSJxIXcUWe4jrG>

It's horrible but not surprising that some Democrats are slamming President
Obama, Secretary of State Kerry, and the United Nations in the wake of
President Obama's decision not to veto a UN Security Council resolution
re-affirming that Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal under
international law.

*But the actions of Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy are particularly
disappointing.* Murphy has sought to position himself as a progressive
voice on foreign policy. He was the first Senator
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yificdEUwzuzjLVHPXzZsxIXcUWe4jrG>
to call out the Obama Administration's support for Saudi Arabia's
catastrophic war in Yemen.

Yet this morning, Murphy told
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YedDBqQQfB6blgYwHcJafBNIy7DQjxBl>
MSNBC’s "Morning Joe" that *the UN is "not a fair forum for the Israelis"*
and that *the White House should have vetoed the Security Council
resolution against Israeli settlements in the West Bank*. Murphy's attack
on the UN was *pure sophistry*, since the forum in question was the *UN
Security Council*, where the US has a *permanent veto*. Nothing happens in
the UN Security Council without US permission, and nothing ever will.
That's a fundamental fact about the design of the United Nations, and *Chris
Murphy knows it*.

*Urge Chris Murphy to stop his attacks on President Obama, Secretary of
State Kerry, and the United Nations by signing our petition at MoveOn
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MaR4%2BXgBeimQVclmsnT1ixIXcUWe4jrG>.*

Thanks for all you do to help make U.S. foreign policy more just,

Robert Naiman, Avram Reisman, and Sarah Burns
Just Foreign Policy

*We are trying to raise $20,000 before the end of this month!*
If you think our work is important, support us with a $17 donation.
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Y5LL8hEYYywAn4Bg7QXo1RIXcUWe4jrG>

[image: Please support our work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=93M8oiX0RmI3GHcYPJuvzRIXcUWe4jrG>

© 2016 Just Foreign Policy