[Peace] [Peace-discuss] What we're up against

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 00:32:43 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 5:24 PM, C G Estabrook <cgestabrook at gmail.com>
wrote:

Would this strike you as a reasonable defense of WWII in Europe?

> “…German war-making antedates Hitler, and Roosevelt, and indeed the birth
> of modern Germany. War-making is a permanent and immutable characteristic
> of human nature.  German imperialism is a bit more recent, but not much.
> It's a continuum.  And imperialism in general characterizes every
> militarily strong civilization since there were nation-states.  Even
> earlier, if you include the Roman Empire, Ghengis Khan, etc.”
>
> My question is not rhetorical. See Nicholson Baker, "Human Smoke: The
> Beginnings of World War II, the End of Civilization” (2008).
>
> —CGE

There's rarely a defense for war, and never for imperialism.  But German
imperialism and the notion that Germans were somehow a superior "race"
certainly predated Hitler.  He didn't invent it; he merely carried it a
step further.

What has been much more surprising is how Germany has reinvented itself in
such a progressive way since World War II.  But don't hold your breath.
Neo-Nazism lurks just barely beneath the surface in Germany, just as it
does in America.  The pendulum will swing again, and man's brute nature
will reassert itself.