[Peace] to keep a balance, Urb Park proposes to kill 60-100 Crystal lake geese-- read & take survey

Susan Parenti susanroseparenti at gmail.com
Sun May 10 22:47:44 UTC 2020

The Urbana Park District Board of Commissioners is going to vote on Tuesday
night May 12 whether or not they support the Park District's proposal to
kill off 60–100 geese in Crystal Lake Park, as a way to manage them and
make a balance between number of geese and size/capacities of Park.  (They
intend to leave 20 geese alive).

You can see their proposal here :
https:// <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K6R2HWQ>
www.urbanaparks.org/projects/geese-population-and-management

Inside the proposal is a 3 minute survey about how you feel about the geese
in the Park—the survey puts the geese in a negative light. But please do
the survey now, or at least before 6pm Tuesday night. You don't have to
agree with my sentiments.

Here is the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K6R2HWQ

How do I feel about this? Daily I go to the Park to see/hear the
geese—they’re the main attraction. The Park District secured a grant to
improve Crystal Park, and they feel that the presence of the geese gets in
the way of those improvements. .  They say that lots of people won’t go to
the Park because of the geese—I don’t know anyone who feels that way. But,
mostly, for me the killing off of the geese is a human-centered way of
thinking (if it’s good for humans, then it’s fine) and that way of thinking
I want to stop as it’s a big component of why we have catastrophic climate
change.

“GEESEHERDS”  I propose that given that the swimming pool will be closed
all summer, why doesn’t the Park District use 2 ex-pool employees and make
them GEESEHERDS—a variation on shep(sheep)herds. These geessherds can take
care of the geese, tend to their problems, turn their poop into iron-rich
compost. This way the park District is free of taking care of the geese,
and two people have a job.

Please spread the word. We don’t have much time.

--
*Susan Parenti*
*Educational Coordinator *

*The School for Designing a Society *www.designingasociety.net