[Peace-discuss] were it not for the rack monster

Corey Mattson coreymattson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:16:35 CST 2012

I agree with everything David Johnson says here. I'd also like to add a few
points.

First, I no longer believe the Democrats are necessarily the lesser evil.
In the area of education, Obama is worse in that they have a terrible
agenda that rivals the Republicans and are more likely able to see it
through. (Still, the bureaucrats in my union, the NEA, tailor their
politics to benefit the electoral success of their "friends".) This is the
case in so many areas. Worse, when the Democrats do something crappy,
because it is a Democrat who did it, many liberals (not all, of course)
don't rise in opposition. I'm starting to think the Democratic Party is the
greater evil for these reasons.

Second, from my experience working with liberal friends in groups through
the years, I've seen firsthand how their working for the electoral success
of Democrats has stifled movements and seriously limited the political
program of movements to fit the Democratic Party conservative agenda. Much
energy is sucked out of movement politics due to electoralism, and worse,
political positions often get determined by whether or not they might
negatively affect Democratic politicians. (Don't oppose the war now! It
might hurt Obama. Don't oppose current threats against Iran! After all, it
might hurt Obama.)

If we seriously believe that it is movements that result in real change,
the Democratic Party is undoubtedly the single most hindrance to change.
It's the albatross around our necks. We won't get the party independent of
business when we vote for the Democrats year after year, justifying the act
as meaningful, suffering defeat after defeat.

I, too, disagree at any notion that it was the Naderites responsible for
Bush or any conservative agenda. I voted for Ron Daniels in '92, Nader in
'96, ' 00' and '04 and don't feel one bit responsible for Bush or any other
politician. In my view, it is the strategy of working within the Democratic
Party for change that has failed, as we see the political landscape
continue to gravitate to the right, Democratic Party and all. I also think
it is highly authoritarian for some my liberal friends (not all) to assume
that the Democratic Party has my vote in this supposed democracy, and for
them to assume as well that any given vote of mine is a temporary
deviation. I have never voted for a Democrat in a national race, and my
opposition was only strengthened after groups like Progressive Democrats
for America, in collusion with the Democratic Party, tried to take away my
vote for president in 2004 by kicking Nader off the ballot in some states.
This proved, beyond all doubt, that there's very little that is democratic
about the Democratic Party.

Maybe it's easy for me to write how I feel here, even if it's a little too
forthcoming, because I'm from BloNo and don't know that many people in
Chambana. But I say all the above in the spirit of collaboration and
solidarity, since I don't believe that partisan issues should impede
movement coalitions.

In solidarity, Corey
BloNo