[Peace-discuss] Fw: Fwd: Hate will not prevail in C-U

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 06:18:48 CST 2012

FWIW, I didn't find anything antisemitic in Braverman's comments, either
-- neither in his Focus 580 interview nor at the Champaign Library.

He sounded more like a prophet calling the people to righteousness.
Since when has that been a comfortable thing to hear?

I keep thinking of one of the many people Amos Oz interviewed in his
book, In the Land of Israel.   An Israeli Jewish farmer, this man put
the situation plainly: what his generation should do, he said, was to
drive the Arabs out, by whatever means.  Their descendents would feel
guilty for what their parents had done, but no matter -- the land would
be theirs.

We in the US are in the position of those descendants.  Collectively,
our European ancestors, whether they had the farmer's historical vision
or not, massacred the people and stole the land from the Native
Americans who lived here before we did, and stole the labor and the
lives of generations of African slaves, to build the wealthy country
where we live now.   Those people could be used or displaced or killed,
because they were contemptible and they were dangerous.

This heritage is a terrible pall for us to live under who recognize
it.   And the forms of thinking that shaped that pall remain with us, as
we imprison more of our population than any other country, or as we make
wars to secure access to oil under other countries' land and tell
ourselves that that their people hate what we stand for and that they
put us, the world's superpower, in mortal danger.

Though Braverman didn't put it in the way I'm saying above, I see him as
calling on the Jews of Israel not to follow our example.  And I think
that talking in these terms might let some people hear his message who
would otherwise not begin to listen.

Braverman did say, among many other things: We must identify ourselves
universally with human suffering, speaking truth to power, confronting
the kings.  Those are Jewish values.  To tell ourselves that we can only
be Jewish by walling ourselves up lifelong, surrounded by walls and
guards, forever telling ourselves that everything outside is deadly,
that is soul-destroying.   (Being surrounded by murderous rabble had
been his grandmother's reality in Europe.  It is not so today, but the
psychology of it remains.  We can't move on.)

How can we expect the Israeli Jews to give up the privileges they have
in a Jewish state?   (What group can we show as example which has
willingly given up its privileges, as we in the US have not?)
Braverman's reply was the most heartening thing I'd heard in a long
time: they wouldn't have to.  An open society in Israel of Jews and
Muslims and Christians, relieved of its burden of militarization and
fear, would be a vibrant one, in which everyone would gain, compared
with what they have today.

But it will be a long road to get there - compared to that, South
Africans say, what they went through was a walk in the park.