[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] Common Core

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigsqq.org
Mon Jan 27 03:01:05 UTC 2014

>  Not every child gets the chance to grow up in a community like
> Champaign-Urbana.

This is indisputably true, since there are several million children in
the world,
and for most of them it is too far to walk to C-U to attend school even
if they
arise early each day, and there are few boarding schools in C-U.

Democracy, genuine or American, does not necessary imply that there is a
consensus in
the community.  People consent to things that they do not agree with as
they see no way out
or no way period.

I would suppose that in every place there are those who think that
adults should get involved
with the education of their children even if they are opposed to
taxation and waste and those
who think that the problem with education in America is that they still
dont spend enough.

I do think that it is a great idea for every community and area to try
to find its own way
and develop according to its own ideas, right, wrong, or indifferent.
If you find
that the prevalent memes of some place don't suit you, you can move away to
find a more suitable spot.

Mandates of various kinds sent to communities are certainly anti-democratic.

If the people of Podunk, IL want to teach their children that the earth
is flat
and the moon is made of Green cheese or sticky pecans and nougat, what
should one do?

The Mennonites and many other groups want to teach a certain way of thinking
in their rural areas.  Why should those be compelled to follow they ways
of a
majority?  Democracy seems oppressive and tyrannical to them,