[Peace-discuss] Fwd: debates

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 9 15:16:32 UTC 2019

FYI.  A very strong query and recommendation. The problem is whether the DNC will even come close to considering this request.

—mkb

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Swanson <davidcnswanson at gmail.com<mailto:davidcnswanson at gmail.com>>
Subject: Re: debates
Date: July 9, 2019 at 8:24:59 AM CDT
To: medea benjamin <medea.benjamin at gmail.com<mailto:medea.benjamin at gmail.com>>
Cc: Gar Smith <gar.smith at earthlink.net<mailto:gar.smith at earthlink.net>>, "<wbw-discussion at googlegroups.com<mailto:wbw-discussion at googlegroups.com>>" <wbw-discussion at googlegroups.com<mailto:wbw-discussion at googlegroups.com>>, "Brussel,Morton K" <brussel at illinois.edu<mailto:brussel at illinois.edu>>, Frank Lockwood <lockwoodnow at gmail.com<mailto:lockwoodnow at gmail.com>>, Sally McMillan <marugg51 at gmail.com<mailto:marugg51 at gmail.com>>

HERE'S A DRAFT:

Tell the DNC to Hold a War and Peace Debate
Sign this petition to the Democratic National Committee:

We write to you as U.S. residents who support holding a debate on climate and a separate debate on war and peace.

While the U.S. military is our single largest consumer of petroleum, and its activities are excluded from climate agreements, and its budget is a key potential source of funding for a serious effort to slow the damage of climate collapse, we can safely expect corporate media moderators to avoid any in-depth discussion of militarism during a climate debate or any other debate.

During the first pair of debates, some candidates were questioned very briefly on war and peace, others not at all. None were asked for any rough estimate of what federal discretionary spending should look like, whether the majority should go into militarism or not. None were asked about the impacts of militarism on U.S. society. None were asked for a full list of which wars they would end, or even how many wars they were aware of.

Why do scientists believe the risk of nuclear apocalypse is greater than ever, and what would you do about it? That is a critical question that has not been asked.

Economists at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst have documented<https://www.peri.umass.edu/publication/item/449-the-u-s-employment-effects-of-military-and-domestic-spending-priorities-2011-update> that military spending is an economic drain rather than a jobs program. Do we need a conversion to peaceful industries, and what would your plan look like? This question has not been asked.

Military spending is, by one calculation<https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/military-spending-2018>, now 68% of federal discretionary spending. A public policy debate that avoids mentioning its existence is not a public policy debate at all. Should military spending go up or down or remain unchanged? Are any of these things that could be funded with a small fraction of it higher priorities, and how would each candidate rank them: free public college, conversion to clean energy, ending starvation globally, building public transit, etc.?

Does militarism protect or endanger? Does it create or fend off refugees? Does it promote or reduce bigotry? Have we gained or lost freedoms during recent wars? These are basic questions that will not arise in the current debate format.

So are these: Would you end weapons sales and the provision of military training to any governments? Which ones? Would you close any foreign bases? Which ones? How many bases does the United States have? Would you halt or continue the practice of murder by missiles from drones? Would you sign and urge ratification of any human rights treaties? Which ones? These are questions that are not going to be tossed in between healthcare, abortion, and commercial breaks. We are not going to obtain a clear vision of what each candidate is likely to do on foreign policy unless we have a full debate on foreign policy.

We urge you to schedule one now.