[Peace] to keep a balance, Urb Park proposes to kill 60-100 Crystal lake geese-- read & take survey

Debra Schrishuhn deb.pdamerica at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:01:14 UTC 2020

Outstanding, Susan and Niloofar. I took the survey last week and have been
spreading the word. The geese are native, just like our corn-fed whitetail
deer that sometimes form a traffic hazard in the rural parts of the county.
If Crystal Lake kills all but 20 geese, by next year there will be another
80-100 geese in the park because they are widespread in this area.

Absent natural predators (which the park officials would no doubt find even
more of a "nuisance") the geese can and should be managed without wholesale
slaughter, disingenuously called "Collection and Charity Donation" by park
officials who want to soft-pedal their plans. And the plan to donate the
meat to food banks may be well-meaning, but it is seriously flawed, as
anyone who has ever tried/ learned to cook wild goose meat can attest.

Besides people taking the survey, who can we call today? Here is the main
number--call and protest on behalf of the geese. 217.367.1544 <
1-217-367-1544>

Now here are the commissioners

*Michael Walker / President*-since 1983, reelected in 2019

*Nancy Delcomyn / Vice President*
Commissioner since 1993
Next up for election 2023

*Roger Digges / Commissioner* elected in 2019

*Meredith Blumthal / Commissioner*
Commissioner since 2010
Next up for election 2021

*LaShaunda Cunningham / Commissioner*
Commissioner since 2015
Next up for election 2021

These folks need to feel some community heat.

One for the honkers!
Deb